I’m no doctor, but… after being stung multiple times I have learned a few things about surviving.
- Stay calm. Nothing causes more problems that getting excited about a scorpion sting. Adrenalin seems to speed the spread of poisonous venom through your body. Take a breath, tell your self that you are not going to die today and follow the following steps.
- Mix Baking Soda and a drop of water to make a paste. Cover the sting with the paste and immediately you will begin to feel better as the acid in the sting is neutralized.
- Take a Benadryl tablet, look at the clock and realize that in 20 minutes life will begin to be better. The antihistamine in the tablet can be a life saver.
- Call a friend and know that they can help you to remain calm.
- An EpiPen can be a next to last resort and then 911 if your tongue swells and breathing becomes labored.
My best lesson was the time I was stung on my back in the middle of the night while house sitting a home up in the mountains. 911 said I would be dead by the time they arrived and it was best to follow the above mentioned steps. My tongue did swell, breathing became labored, however… after I swabbed the sting with baking soda, took the benadryl and calmed down, sleep took over and in the morning a friend got me to a clinic where they gave me an EpiPen like shot and life returned to normal a few hours later.
a. Learn calming meditation
b. Keep Baking Soda in the fridge
c. Keep Benadryl at the ready.
d. Invest in an EpiPen