Tis the season, summer! Nance is a small local fruit. Delicious alone and great when crushed into a juice.
Byrsonima crassifolia is a species of flowering plant bearing fruit in the acerola family, Malpighiaceae, that is native to tropical America. Common names include changunga, muruçi, nanche, nance, nancite, chacunga, craboo, kraabu, savanna serrette and golden spoon. In Jamaica it is called hogberry. Wikipedia
1. Nance has a high content of Vitamin C. A healthy dose of Vitamin C protects our body from infections which results in healthy bones and teeth. It also improves our body’s ability to repair wounds and keeps us immune from bacteria, viruses and infection. Not only is it a well-known component of our immune system, it is also necessary for collagen, the main structural protein found in connective tissue.
2. Nance contains a significant amount of Protein in it. Protein is indispensable for the growth and development of our body. Thus incorporating Nance in our diet promotes healthy metabolic and physiological processes. Nance helps to boost our nervous and immunity system.
3. Calcium in Nance along with Vitamin K helps to strengthen the bones and prevent arthritis. Vitamin K also helps blood clotting as it helps to turn on the proteins and calcium that allow the blood to clot. Thus it prevents bleeding nose, bleeding gums and so on.
4. Nance is also rich in thiamine. Thiamine helps in the production of neurotransmitter which relays messages between the nerves and the muscles to ensure proper cardiac function. Hence eating Nance helps to prevent irregular cardiac function.
5. Riboflavin present in Nance helps in the production of energy by assisting in the metabolism of fats, carbohydrates and proteins. Nance also helps in the formation of red blood cells and antibodies in humans.
6. Folate in Nance helps to reduce depression and reduces the risk of depression and dementia. Folate is also necessary for proper functioning of brains. Nance helps to keep the brain young and improves memory.
7. Regular consumption of Nance helps to ward off ageing and overall body deterioration. Nance contains a significant amount of Beta carotene which converts to vitamin A which has anti-aging effectiveness of its own. The combined anti-aging effect of both together is even greater.